My Disney Experience is Walt Disney World’s official planning app. Back in October, Walt Disney World added a few new features to help enhance Guests’ experiences throughout the Walt Disney World Resort Property.
Disney Genie is a new free planning tool located within the My Disney Experience app. Disney Genie will provide Guests with suggestions and tips throughout their day in a Theme Park. From what attractions and rides they might enjoy to where they should consider eating, Disney Genie is there along the way with tips.
As an additional feature to Disney Genie, Guests can choose to purchase Genie+. Genie+ costs $15 per day per person. With the addition of Genie+, Guests are given access to the Lightning Lanes to over 40 attractions throughout Walt Disney World’s four main Theme Parks (Magic Kingdom, Disney’s Animal Kingdom, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and EPCOT).
Having access to the Lightning Lanes for these attractions allows Guests to bypass the regular standby line and therefore save time in line making room for even more magic throughout the day.
If this feature sounds like a great option for your family, there are a few ways to go about purchasing it.
How to Purchase Genie+: Option One
For those Guests staying at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel and who have booked both the Resort and tickets making a Walt Disney World vacation package, they are able to add Genie+ to their package.
If choosing to do this option, Guests will be required to purchase Genie+ for EACH ticket day. That means if you have four Park tickets, you will need to purchase Genie+ for four days at $15/day/person.
By purchasing Genie+ ahead of time, you can include the price in your package and have up to 30 days before arrival to pay it off.
How to Purchase Genie+: Option Two
If you are staying off property at a non-Disney Resort or a VRBO and are purchasing tickets separately, you can choose to add Genie+ to your ticket purchase.
Like when you add Genie+ to a Walt Disney World vacation package, when you add it to your ticket purchase ahead of time you will need to add Genie+ to EACH ticket.
Again this means if you have purchased a four-day Park ticket, you will need to purchase Genie+ for 4 days at the $15/day cost.
The major difference with adding Genie+ to a ticket purchase vs a Walt Disney World resort package is that you will need to pay for everything upfront.
How to Purchase Genie+: Option Three
The last way you can purchase Genie+ for your Walt Disney World Theme Park day is by doing it the day off. At midnight of the day, they wish to use Genie+ Guests can log onto their My Disney Experience account and purchase Genie+ for that day only.
Even though Genie+ becomes available at midnight, it won’t sell out so there isn’t a need to jump right on at midnight. We do recommend that you are on prior to the 7 am drop (more on this in a few) but otherwise you don’t have to rush to purchase it.
If you don’t think you will need or will want Genie+ each Park day, then this is the option that you will want to choose. This allows you to purchase Genie+ only for specific days instead of like the previous two options where it is needed every day.
How To Use It?
Now that you have determined to add Genie+ to your ticket, how do you use it? Starting at 7:00 am, Guests are able to log into their My Disney Experience account and make their first Genie+ selection.
We have a whole post HERE about which rides we recommend choosing first to maximize your purchase.
Unlike the previous Fastpass and fastpass+ services, Genie+ Guests aren’t able to choose their ride times. Instead, Guests are picking the next available time slot which could be within an hour or at the end of the night depending.
We will go into more details on how to use Genie+ in a future post so look for that soon.
What Rides Are Included?
If you are trying to determine if Genie+ is right for you, it might help to take a look at the attractions that are included with Genie+ at each Theme Park.
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant
- Haunted Mansion
- “it’s a small world”
- Jungle Cruise
- Mad Tea Party
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic
- Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor
- Peter Pan’s Flight
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- See Mickey at Town Square Theater
- See Princess Tiana and a Visiting Princess at Princess Fairytale Hall
- See Cinderella and a Visiting Princess at Princess Fairytale Hall
- Space Mountain** (*Between February 25, 2022 and August 7, 2022, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, Frozen Ever After and Space Mountain will be included via Disney Genie+ service and will not be included as an individual Lightning Lane selection.)
- Splash Mountain
- The Barnstormer
- The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Tomorrowland Speedway
- Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid
- Disney and Pixar Short Film Festival
- Frozen Ever After** (*Between February 25, 2022 and August 7, 2022, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, Frozen Ever After and Space Mountain will be included via Disney Genie+ service and will not be included as an individual Lightning Lane selection.)
- Journey into Imagination with Figment
- Living with the Land
- Mission: SPACE – Green
- Mission: SPACE – Orange
- Soarin’ Around the World
- Spaceship Earth
- Test Track
- The Seas with Nemo & Friends
- Turtle Talk with Crush
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage
- Disney Junior Play & Dance!
- For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway** (*Between February 25, 2022 and August 7, 2022, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, Frozen Ever After and Space Mountain will be included via Disney Genie+ service and will not be included as an individual Lightning Lane selection.)
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
- Muppet*Vision 3D
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
- See Olaf at Celebrity Spotlight
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™
- Toy Story Mania!
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Celebration of the Festival of the Lion King
- Feathered Friends in Flight!
- It’s Tough to Be a Bug!
- Kali River Rapids
- Kilimanjaro Safaris
- Naʻvi River Journey
- The Animation Experience at Conservation Station
As you can see, Magic Kingdom offers the most Genie+ attractions with both EPCOT and Disney’s Animal Kingdom only having a handful. We think this is important to know when determining if and how you will purchase Genie+ for your Walt Disney World vacation.