10 Technology Items You Should Take On Your Disney Trip
In our plugged-in society, there is vital tech for pretty much every adventure. And as much as I would love to tell you to just “unplug” for vacation, we all know that’s just not the world we live in – even at Disney World! So here are ten tech items that you will want to pack to make your Disney vacation more streamlined…
10. Camera/Video Camera – The Disney memories must be captured. Yes, you may want to utilize the Photo Pass people, but you’ll also want shots of your own. For most people a rugged, portable option (or even your smart phone) will do the trick. But if you’re an artist be sure to bring your gear, because there’s inspiration around every corner at Disney!
9. FitBit – Newsflash: you’re going to walk A LOT at Disney. You might as well keep track of your awesome fitness strides. Besides, it’ll make extra Mickey Bars seem totally legit.
8. Phone – This is pretty much a no-brainer for most of us these days. You’re gonna need your phone. Not only will you want it to contact other members of your party, but you’ll also want it for use of awesome in-park apps. Which brings me to…
7. Apps – While not a true tech “item” per se, it’s worth noting some apps that will make your Disney day better. Obviously the My Disney Experience app tops the list. This app is your Disney go-to: FastPass+, dinner reservations, wait times, showtimes, and even bathroom locations – this app does it all. Show Your Disney Side is a fun app to play with during down times. Also, you can get your whole crew involved with an app like Disney Shout and make waiting in line into a game.
6. Kid Entertainment – I definitely wouldn’t recommend bringing kid electronics into the parks. There’s so much to see and do, and you wouldn’t want them to miss it because they’re glued to their screens. However, there will be times either in the car, on the plane, or in the hotel room when it will be good to have some quiet time. We love Kindle Fire for our kids because of the stellar parental controls.
5. Medical Tech – If you have a medical condition that requires special equipment, then you’re not likely to forget it at home. It’s worth mentioning though that Disney does have medical support for guests. First Aid stations are located throughout the parks and resorts, refrigeration is available for medication, and urgent care help (complete with complementary transportation) is on-call 24/7.
4. Tablet – You will probably not want to bring your tablet or laptop into the parks with you. But in your room at night it’s nice to have a larger screen to check your itinerary for the next day or check the menu at tomorrow night’s dinner venue. Some parents may also need it to keep up with work emails after the kids go to sleep – but remember, you’re on vacation too!
3. Portable Battery Charger – If you’ve got a phone battery that barely makes it through the day without a charge, you may want to invest in a portable battery charger. (Don’t worry – you can get them for less than $20) I have one that is no larger than a tube of lipgloss. Since I use my phone for pictures, I always keep the portable charger in my park bag just in case.
2. Portable Speaker – If you’ve got a bluetooth portable speaker, it’s fun to bring it along for the hotel room. It doesn’t take up too much suitcase space, and it’s fun to jam to the Lion King soundtrack while everyone brushes their teeth!
1. Earbuds/Chargers/Cases – Finally, don’t forget the tech essentials. Earbuds are necessary at some point during the trip for both parents and kids. If you plan to go to the waterparks or there is rain in the forecast, you may want to get a waterproof case for your phone. And I can’t tell you how many times I have nearly forgotten my charger cord, but it’s obviously the key to all the tech.
While these technology items might not be absolutely necessary, they will be a nice addition. Just don’t forget to “unplug” whenever you can in order to experience ALL the magic!
BONUS TIP: Consider planning and booking your next Disney trip with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner you can trust like MickeyTravels. They’ll help you get the best Walt Disney World deal, share expert advice and their services are totally FREE! It’s genius!