Guests must consider the best place to stay when planning a Disney vacation. A Walt Disney World Resort hotel is generally our first choice of accommodation for any Disney vacation. However, there are twenty-two Resort hotels, so deciding where to stay can be challenging.
Budget is the first thing that is considered when we plan to visit the Walt Disney World Resort. Once we know our budget, we consider the classification of Disney Resort to stay at. Then comes the decision of which Disney hotel is within that price range to make a reservation.
When considering a Disney Moderate Resort, how do you choose between the different options? Here’s the Walt Disney World Resort Hotel, which is classed as a Moderate Resort that we recommend skipping, and the alternatives to stay at.
There are three classifications of Disney hotels. Value Resorts, such as Disney’s Pop Century Resort, are the cheapest Disney hotels to stay at and are ideal for Guests who plan on using their hotel room as a base when they aren’t in a Disney Park, water park, or at Disney Springs. Deluxe Resorts, such as Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, offer the most luxurious accommodation in Lake Buena Vista and require a larger budget. In the middle of the Disney Value Resort and Deluxe Resort hotels, there are the Moderate Resorts.
Disney Moderate Resorts are perfect for Guests with a budget that allows spending a little more on accommodation. Moderate Resort hotels offer the usual amenities you would expect of a hotel but with a little extra magic. Most Moderate Resort hotels have multiple pool areas, quick-service, and full-service restaurants, exclusive Resort activities, and access to various modes of Disney transportation. The Disney Moderate Resort hotels are:
- Port Orleans Riverside Resort
- Coronado Springs Resort
- Caribbean Beach Resort
- Port Orleans French Quarter Resort
Skip: Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort
Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort is located near Disney’s Blizzard Beach water park in the Walt Disney World Resort. It’s the Disney hotel that celebrates Spanish, Mexican, and Southwest American cultures. Lago Dorado is at the center of the Resort, with five parts located on its shores. Guests can stay in Standard rooms that can be found in one of three sections around Lago Dorado. They are Casitas, Ranchos and Cabanas. El Centro is where Guests can find the gift store, a selection of quick-service and full-service restaurants, and the Convention Center. The final part of Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort is the newest addition, Gran Destino Tower. Guest rooms in Gran Destino Tower include standard rooms and Club Level rooms.
Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort is a beautiful hotel to explore. It’s also a great place to dine in, as there are several full-service restaurants at the Disney Resort where Guests can make advance dining reservations. However, when it comes to Disney Moderate Resorts, it isn’t our first choice. Here’s why:
- Transport – of the five Moderate Resort hotels, Disney’s Coronado Springs is the only one with access to one transport mode. As such, Guests must rely on the Walt Disney World buses to travel to each Disney theme park, water park, and Disney Springs.
- Conference Guests – while other Disney hotels have Convention Centers, Disney’s Coronado Springs is a popular Resort to host conventions. Should your Disney vacation coincide with a convention, you will likely find the Resort a little more crowded. Convention Guests are also likely to have early starts, which can create traffic and noise around Guest rooms, with Cabanas, Casitas, and Ranchos Guest rooms accessed from external areas.
- Size – Disney’s Coronado Springs is a large Resort with multiple bus stops. While walking around it offers beautiful sights, you may not always feel like getting in extra steps. Especially after a day in the Disney Parks. Accessing other parts of the Resort can be done via the use of the buses, including an Internal Bus. However, walking may be quicker, and you need to be familiar with the bus routes.
- Location – Disney’s Coronado Springs is ideally located for Guests wishing to spend most of their time in Disney’s Animal Kingdom or Disney’s Hollywood Studios. However, you can expect a long bus journey to access these areas if you prefer to spend more time in EPCOT, Magic Kingdom, or Disney Springs.
Stay (option 1): Disney’s Port Orleans Resort
So, if you’re considering staying in a Disney Moderate Resort, our first choice of hotel would be Disney’s Port Orleans Resort. For Guests who enjoy a laid-back feel, with beautiful scenery and access to a full-service restaurant, we recommend staying at Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside Resort. If you’d prefer a smaller Resort that makes you feel like you’re somewhere else, choose Disney’s Port Orleans French Quarter Resort.
We adore all that Disney’s Port Orleans Resorts have to offer. They are also ideally located for accessing Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, and Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Just expect a slightly longer journey to Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Disney’s Port Orleans Resort also has access to an additional mode of Disney transport. Guests can use the Sassagoula River Boats to travel to and from Disney Springs. This is a beautiful journey to make as part of your Disney vacation.
Stay (option 2): Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort is another excellent Moderate Resort hotel to consider staying at, rather than Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort. We mainly love Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort because of its access to the Disney Skyliner. This makes it easy for Guests to travel to EPCOT and Disney’s Hollywood Studios. The Resort also has a central location in the Walt Disney World Resort. This provides easy access to all Disney Parks and Disney Springs.
It is also worth considering the extra amenities Guests of Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort can access. For those Guests whose Guest room is located in the Aruba or Martinique sections are just a short walk away from Disney’s Riviera Resort. As such, Guests can enjoy the restaurants, gift stores, and Resort activities available at Disney’s Riviera Resort.
Which Disney Moderate Resort will you stay at during your next Disney vacation? Do you have a favorite Resort from these Disney hotels? Is there one you have stayed at once and don’t plan to stay at again?